Tuesday 30 July 2013

Mojito Sorbet


MOJITO SORBET

Tuesday has become a great day to bake. I teach a private acting class in the morning and then have the rest of the day free. I always see my great boyfriend, Nick, on Tuesday, and like to make him a nice dinner and dessert. Last Tuesday I decided to make an old favourite for dinner, steak with a roast pumpkin salad. We both love it and I hadn't made it in a little while.

So I needed something to go with it. I wanted something light. With all the birthday parties I'm going to, and all the cakes I was making for them, I didn't want some massively heavy for dessert. Now I know it's still cold out but I hadn't used my wonderful ice cream machine for a while. My extraordinary best friend, Charlene, gave it to me for Christmas and it is marvelous. So sorry for those without one, this recipe uses an ice cream machine. Now I was looking through sorbet recipes and came across this one. Love mint, love lime and well I can confess to moments of being a lush. So the mojito sorbet it was. You can do it without the rum, but then, what fun would that be? It is damn tasty, what a great way to get a little boozy!

Today is National Cheesecake Day in America, so I made a cheesecake I'm taking to my boyfriend's new place tonight. Will give you all the recipe for that one soon. Happy baking my friends and Happy Cheesecake Day. 



INGREDIENTS:

1 cup Water
1 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup Fresh Mint Leaves, packed
1/4 cup Lime Rind, grated
1 cup  Lime Juice
1 1/2 cups Citrus Flavoured Sparkling / Mineral Water
2 tablespoons Rum
(In total I used the rind of 3 limes and used their juice, for left over juice I used a bought squeeze bottle)

DIRECTIONS:

1 - Heat the water, sugar and mint leaves in a saucepan over medium heat, and stir until sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside to cool and then strain out mint leaves.

2 - Pour the cooled mint mixture, lime rind and juice, sparkling water and rum into a bowl and mix well.

3 - Pour into the container of ice cream maker and freeze until solid. You may need to lift out churner and stir as it can stay liquid underneath. As there is alcohol, freezing time takes a little longer.

4 - Place in freezer until you need it.

5 - Serve in martini glass with fresh mint on top.

6 - Enjoy

Catch you on Thursday with a new recipe.

Wayne
xx 



No comments:

Post a Comment