Wednesday 14 August 2013

Raspberry Vanilla Slice


RASPBERRY VANILLA SLICE

Decadence is good word. So is moderation. This isn't one to just make for yourself, it's good to share. I made this for my boyfriend's Dad who hasn't been too well and loves vanilla slices. I also got to share with some of my workmates, my manager has a sweet tooth so I wanted to make sure I saved one for her. These were great to make except I realised too late that they needed a lot of rest time and needed them for Sunday afternoon so I had to come home from seeing a play on Saturday night and start baking at 11.30pm. Another reason I'm sure why my neighbours hate me and my noisy ways.

The great thing about these slices are the raspberries. They add that little bit of freshness and the right level of tartness for a very sweet dessert. The thing I discovered while making them is that they do need a lot of time in the fridge setting. They were best when I'd left them in the fridge the whole day, or even more so, the next day. I also found my icing too runny, so make sure you add more icing sugar if needed.

Never made anything like these before, so was great to do. Think I'll use puff pastry more. My next challenge, to make my own rough puff!


INGREDIENTS:
3 sheets of Puff Pastry, just thawed
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons Custard Powder
3 cups Milk
1 Vanilla Bean, split lengthways
300ml Double Cream
125g frozen Raspberries

For the icing:
3 cups Icing Sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons Milk
3 drops Pink Food Colouring


DIRECTIONS:

1 - Preheat oven to 200°c. Line baking trays with baking paper and place 1 puff pastry sheet per tray. Use a fork to prick the pastry. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Set aside on trays to cool.

2 - Combine the caster sugar and the custard powder in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth and combined. Add the vanilla bean. Then put on stove top over low-medium heat. Whisk constantly for 5-10 minutes, until the custard boils and thickens. Transfer the custard to a heatproof bowl to cool. Cover with cling wrap to stop skin forming. Discard the vanilla bean.

3 - Line a tray with baking paper. Can use square pan, or I used a brownie pan. Trim the pastry to fit and put in first slice.

4 - Whisk the cream until soft peaks form. Fold in the cooled custard until well combined.

5 - Spoon half the custard mix over the pastry and even out with the back of a spoon. Top with another pastry sheet, gently pressing it down.

6 - Spoon the rest of the custard mix onto the top of the pastry sheet and smooth out again with a spoon. Then place raspberries on top of the custard. Press down the last pastry sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Leave in fridge overnight.

7 - Place icing sugar in a small bowl. Gradually stir in the milk until the icing is smooth and spreadable. Make sure it's not too runny. If it is, add more icing sugar. Transfer 2 tablespoons into a small bowl. Stir in the food colouring into this mixture.

8 - Remove the vanilla slice from the pan. Spread the white icing over the top. Place the pink icing into a small plastic bag and cut off the end, making a small hole. Pipe small lines over the top of the icing. Then use a skewer to create a feathered pattern. Place in fridge to completely set.

9 - Cut into pieces and serve. Keep remaining pieces in the fridge.

10 - Share with friends and enjoy.

I'll have a special birthday cake on Sunday for you all.

Wayne
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment