Sunday 3 November 2013

Cinnamon Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Icing


CINNAMON CAKE WITH VANILLA BUTTERCREAM ICING

I have been a busy boy. Hence the slackness of putting up recipes and also doing more baking. I have SOOO many recipes I want to try but have little time to do it with work and rehearsals. So sometimes you need to take time out to do things that make you happy. My friend Cas has been going through some hard times and I hadn't caught up with my other friend Hannah for ages. I decided it was time to have them over, and of course bake something nice. I had rehearsals first, and my actors always enjoy some baked goodness as well. So made this very tasty cinnamon cake. The cast liked it (photo of Tom in the background of one of the photos) and my friends liked it too. In fact Hannah said it was one of her favourites of mine, so that's always a good thing! Photo below of the spread my friends and I had. It was an awesome night all round with laughs, bubbly and great company.

Cinnamon has become my buzz flavour right now and am loving cooking with it. It has that whole spice/sweet thing going on that is perfect when preparing treats for adults. Give this one a go, it will be perfect with tea. Even though I loved having it with champagne. With Christmas coming I plan on doing A LOT of baking. Love to know what you think I should cook.


INGREDIENTS:

175g Unsalted Butter, softened
1 3/4 cups Caster Sugar
1 tablespoon Orange Rind, finely grated
3 Eggs
1 3/4 cups Plain Flour, sifted
3/4 cups Self Raising Flour, sifted
1/4 teapsoon Bicarbonate of Soda, sifted
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
3/4 cup Milk

Vanilla Cream Frosting:

250grams Unsalted Butter, softened
3 cups Icing Sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

Cake Topping:

Cinnamon Sugar

DIRECTIONS:

1 - Preheat oven to 180°c and grease a cake pan. Square good, I used a round springform tin. Line tin with baking paper.

2 - Use an electric mixer to beat butter, sugar and orange rind until light and fluffy.

3 - Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined.

4 - Stir in flours, bicarb, cinnamon and milk.

5 - Spread into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

6 - Stand in pan for 10 minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack.

7 - To make frosting, use an electric mixer to beat butter until light and fluffy.

8 - Beat in icing sugar and vanilla until combined.

9 - Using a serrated knife, cut the cake in half.

10 - Spread the frosting on top of the bottom of the cake and then place the other half on top. Ice top of the ice and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

11 - Enjoy with friends.

Wayne
xx



No comments:

Post a Comment